The Shepherd’s Flock Church had its humble beginnings in December of 2001. In the late summer of that same year, a small group of devout Christians met at the home of Rev. Constance M. Prince to discuss covenanting together as a church. Rev. Prince discussed the vision and mission for the church. On December 31, 2001 this small group of believers met at the home of Darlene Gentry for New Year’s Eve Watch Night service and officially founded The Shepherd’s Flock Church.
The Shepherd’s Flock Church began its assembly together on January 6, 2002 at the home of Raymond and Julia Elliott formerly on 604 Nash Street here in Durham. The church started with Sunday discipleship classes at 9 o’clock for the first and second Sunday, but God pressed it on the heart of Pastor Prince to institute worship service which was added on January 20, 2002 beginning at 10:30a.m.
The first official church meeting was held after the first Sunday discipleship classes. Gloria Tyson was designated as the Financial Coordinator. Financial matters were also discussed and necessary guidelines and accounts were established. Meeting times for worship, discipleship classes (Sunday school), and bible study was established.
In 2003, the worship and ministry plan was “God’s Will – Our Vision; God’s Purpose – Our Mission”. As the church continued to grow spiritually the commitment to move forward in our faith also grew. In February of 2003 God made available a building at 1004 Calvin Street as a permanent place of worship. Final papers were signed on May 22, 2003. On Sunday, June 1, 2003 after regular morning worship, communion and prayer were held on the site thanking God for His continued blessings in the presence of family and friends. By the grace of God the final Mortgage Payment for 1004 Calvin Street was made on February 22, 2005.
In 2007, God then granted The Shepherd’s Flock Church the opportunity to expand its territory. The Shepherd’s Flock Church purchased the adjoining property at 1008 Calvin Street and the final papers were signed in April of 2007. On January 4, 2010, after almost 3 years of struggle and compliance regulations with the City of Durham, The Shepherd’s Flock Church finally received its Certificate of Occupancy for our new Fellowship Hall. This has truly been, and still remains “A Journey of Faith”.
Rev. Constance M. Prince, who was Pastor at inception of the church, resigned as Pastor on September 27, 2010 at our church conference meeting. After a year-long journey in the search for a Pastor, God sent us his servant Rev. V. Wayne Wilhelm. Rev. Wilhelm served as the interim Pastor of The Shepherd’s Flock Baptist Church from November 13, 2011 until May of 2012 after which Rev. V. Wayne Wilhelm was officially named our fulltime Pastor on May 13, 2012.